The beginnings of the Gopaldhara Garden date back to 1881. The plantation covers 320 hectares in the Mirik Valley at altitudes of 1600-2100 m above sea level, making it one of the highest gardens in Darjeeling. The original owner of the land was called Gopal and the plantation is interwoven with springs of water, which in the local language is called Dhara – hence the name Gopaldhara Garden. Most of the new shrubs planted in recent years have been a mix of clonal varieties in the highest positions of the garden.
Older parts of the garden are also continuously planted with new varieties of high-quality tea trees. In addition, a completely new modern tea leaf processing plant has been built in recent years to maintain a high standard of quality.